Hemp CBD + Menthol Cream
- Hill City Hemp is a Chattanooga company changing the way individuals manage everyday aches and pains
- Why add Menthol to a topical product?
- The role of CBD as a topical supplement in the reduction of pain
- Pros and cons of Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol Cream
- Let’s Explore the Test Results
- What it is Like to Supplement with CBD + Menthol Cream by Hill City Hemp
- Facts about Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol Cream
- Pros and cons of Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol Cream Review
Hill City Hemp is a Chattanooga company changing the way individuals manage everyday aches and pains
From the website, you can’t gleam too terribly much about Hill City Hemp other than it is located in Chattanooga, Tennessee and carries both full spectrum CBD supplements and Isolate products for their clients All of the Hill City Hemp products are grown in Kentucky using non-certified organic, pesticide free, GMO free practices and then processed in a GMP certified facility located in Nashville, Tennessee. Currently, these products are available only in the U.S. Unlike Charlotte’s Web, which does a great job letting the consumer know its history, vision and mission, Hill City Hemp basically left any of their corporate identity from their website, significantly impacting my ability to “get to know” them as a company.
The Hill City Hemp product line includes topical lotions like this CBD + Menthol cream, as well as a higher end CBD infused beauty line, tinctures, capsules and even pet products. Currently, Hill City Hemp seems to be focusing their products in higher concentrated strengths like their 33 mg and 83 mg tinctures and then 30 mg capsules. The Pet Tincture is the only lower concentrated product, coming in at 10 mg/ml. This conscious decision to focus attention and products reminded me a lot of another brand I have had the pleasure of reviewing, Spruce and their Max Potency Tincture.
Why add Menthol to a topical product?
For as long as humans have been experiencing pain, they’ve been massaging the sore spots. Menthol has been a very common ingredient for topical pain relievers for years because of its pleasant cooling sensation and its potential to relieve pain to the applied area.
The role of CBD as a topical supplement in the reduction of pain
CBD supplements were made legal in 2014 in the U.S. when the farm bill de-criminalized the compound. In the subsequent 6 years, scientists have been studying the efficacy of CBD on different ailments to help fuel the rise in demand for this natural treatment for pain, insomnia, anxiety and more. One small study using rats from 2017 showed how CBD did help reduce the pain associated with arthritis, a very common complaint among folks aged 25 – 95.
Hill City Hemp Combines the cooling sensations brought about by menthol with the pain
relieving benefits of CBD to create a highly concentrated product that cools on contact then reduces pain within 20 minutes that lasts for hours.
Pros and cons of Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol Cream
Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol Cream information
|Ingredients||600 mg/30 ml CBD Isolate, 2% Menthol, Water, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Olivate, Olive Oil, Unsaponifiable Polyacrylate, Crosspolymer-6, Sclerotium Gum, Benzyl Alcohol, Diglycerin, Polglycerol-2 Laurate|
|Amount of CBD per pump||5 mg|
|Available bottle sizes||10 ml sample size, 30 ml, & 75 ml|
|Amount of CBD in bottles||200 mg/ml|
|Carrier Oil||Olive Oil & Glycerine|
|Attributes||Pesticide Free, GMP manufacturing facility|
|Test Results Available||Online, QR Code on packaging|
|Certification||GMP Certified, ND (non-detectible) THC|
|Brand Headquarters||Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA|
|Where Can You Get Hill City Hemp?||Only in the United States|
Let’s Explore the Test Results
The Certificate of Analysis (COA) reports are available for all of the Hill City Hemp products and are performed by Botanica Testing. The labs are reported by product and then further reported by batch #s, but not for this topical cream . For the CBD + Menthol products, there is only one test result available at the time of this article’s publication.
The COA for the CBD + Menthol is pretty basic. The report shows that THC tests ND or non-detectible and that 23.5 mg of CBD were found in each pump. This product also tests ND for other cannabinoids further solidifying the fact that this is a CBD Isolate Product.
Unfortunately, these COAs do not disclose (and possibly weren’t tested for) microbials, pesticides, heavy metals, etc as often found in larger, bigger pocketed brands. I understand that this is a smaller and younger CBD supplement brand, but the very basic test results leave questions for the educated consumer as to the quality and cleanliness of the product because there simply isn’t any proof. Without any documentation we truly do not know if the product is pesticide free or if it was farmed in contaminant free land. Hill City Hemp isn’t alone in this more basic testing disclosure, in another review I did for CBD Medic, they too disclosed only the cannabinoid profile without a break down into the other, possibly harmful chemical analysis.
What it is Like to Supplement with CBD + Menthol Cream by Hill City Hemp
CBD + Menthol Packaging and Appearance
The CBD + Menthol cream that I received for this review is the sample, 10 ml size and comes individually packaged in its own matching box. The box is royal blue with the Hill City Hemp logo prominently displayed across the front as well as the total CBD per dose. Interestingly, highlighted against the blue is the fact that this product is Lab Tested 0% THC. Inside the box, is a round pump container with a lid. The lid is clear and the pump top does unscrew but neither came off while traveling around in my purse for several weeks. I did keep things in the original packaging, however. The scent, unlike some other mentholated products isn’t super strong. In fact, what I noticed was the distinct lack of scent, so it definitely doesn’t smell like your grandfather’s medicine cabinet.
The first time I used Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol
It was December 23, 2018. I remember the date exactly because my family and I were rushing to get out the door to get to see Santa (a big deal if you’re in the States) before he left his post at our local mall for the North Pole in preparation for his “big day.” Since we were in a rush, I wasn’t as careful as I should have been and somehow, after turning all the lights off in the house, in mid stride, my left foot found one of my daughters’ dress up necklaces (in the middle of our living room floor, please don’t judge my tidiness!) My left foot slid out from under me, truly a cartoon style fall as I momentarily “fell without style” legs all askew, landing all of my weight on my left hand. It was the “fall heard round the block.” Seriously, my husband came inside from putting the kids in the car he said he heard me hit so hard.
I thought I had broken my wrist, if not my wrist, definitely I had broken something in my shoulder. It was some of the excruciating pain I had experienced in just about two years at that point because my son was almost 2 and child birth is NOT for sissies. I soldiered on and we made it to pictures with Santa. I even led a very physical yoga class the next day (mostly one handed). Thankfully, nothing was broken, but something definitely wasn’t right.
Here it is over a year later, and I have some very interesting pain in my neck on the left side, sometimes down into the shoulder and in my mid back. I’ve been getting treated for it with acupuncture and physical therapy, but in between treatments, that entire region can get pretty sore. When I first tested the Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol cream, my neck was particularly sore. Since this has been an ongoing thing for me, I was only cautiously optimistic about the outcome. I used just one pump on the left side of my neck and down unto the top of my shoulder. Within 20 minutes, what made me stop was that I looked toward the left (something that can hurt when the injury is flaring up), and it didn’t hurt. I felt tightness, but the typical pain was almost completely gone.
Long Term Use of Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol
I have been able to use the CBD + Menthol cream for a little over a month. Since I don’t have pain every day, I haven’t had to use it everyday, but I have been rubbing some of this in on new and old sites that exhibit themselves in the craziness that is Chattanooga, winters. (we can have 70 degrees on one day, and below freezing the next.) Not only are these large swings in temperature hard on the sinuses, they can cause interesting pains to appear. Each time something does pop up, I can use 1 pump (sometimes 2 if it is a larger area) and rub it on the affected area. Within 20-30 minutes, the pain that brought me to use the CBD + Menthol Cream always has diminished or completely gone away. I also don’t feel any residue on the top of my skin or in my hair when I put it on my neck.
The top 3 reasons you should try Hill City Hemp’s CBD + Menthol Cream
- This is a highly concentrated CBD product. In each pump, you get 5 mg of CBD isolate that you can apply directly to the spot. Considering some tinctures are 5 mg per dose under your tongue, this is a highly concentrated topical product for those serious about topical CBD application
- The CBD + Menthol cream is the menthol cream that doesn’t smell like Menthol cream. In a world of some pretty potently smelling products, this CBD + Menthol cream defies the law of the stink and comes in very mildly scented.
- The CBD + Menthol Cream works! Every time I put the product on my sore spot, I noticed an immediate cooling effect and within minutes, the pain would disappear or be virtually eliminated. The effects would last me hours.
The Top 3 things about Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol Cream that I wish I could improve
- I wish the Hill City Hemp company would disclose more about themselves. (which I know is not a product specific complaint, but it is hard to feel like I can trust a company that doesn’t tell me their roots.)
- I wish the Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol Cream included essential oils. Yes, I know there is a lot of psudo science with essential oils, but all that withstanding, the combinations of Essential oils can have heavenly scents, like this topical salve, which I think just makes the overall experience improve.
- This is a premium priced product. Although the CBD + Menthol cream comes in at $1/ml in the largest size, the smaller 30 ml size is priced the same as a super premium U.S. Brand salve that is actually a little bigger. In the defense of Hill City Hemp, this product is almost 50% more concentrated than the Charlotte’s Web Balm I am referring to, but this is still a more expensive product.
Facts about Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol Cream
Value of CBD + Menthol Cream by Hill City Hemp
Each size contains a whopping 20 mg of CBD isolate per ml. This is a very concentrated CBD topical product especially compared to other topicals on the market. You get a targeted 5 mg of CBD per pump of a very mildly scented mentholated product that provides immediate cooling effects to the area where the cream is applied and then long term pain relief. You pay about $1/ml in the largest 75 ml bottle.
Price: $44.99 for 30ml & $74.99 for the 75 ml
Pros and cons of Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol Cream Review
- CBD Isolate
- Easy to transport and use pump bottle
- No strong Menthol scent
- Very little corporate information is disclosed
- Premium price point
- Less detailed COA report
Essential Information about the Hill City Hemp CBD + Menthol Cream
- 5 mg of CBD per pump
- 20 mg of CBD / ml
- Comes in a 10ml, 30 ml and 75 ml pump bottle
- This is a CBD isolate product with 0% THC
- Uses the cooling benefits of Menthol with the benfits of CBD to provide fast relief to areas of pain and discomfort on the skin.